The Internet… what an amazing network! So many websites, so many resources,
how easy it is to get lost when navigating the vast digital ocean! Teaching how
to identify credible online material is doubtlessly one of the biggest educational
challenge of our time. As researchers with strong interests in computational
methods in ecology, we spend a substantial amount of our time searching
various kind of information online ranging from a small piece of code to
massive ecological database. To keep track of the web resources we regard as
helpful in our day to day work but quite inconspicuous, we have created the list
below. Please feel free to suggest other links in the Disqus section below!
Climatic online data
- KNMI Climate Explorer: A research tool to investigate the climate Eng.
- Wordclim: WorldClim is a set of global climate layers (gridded climate data) with a spatial resolution of about 1 km2 Eng.
Ecological online data
- GBIF: Free and open access to biodiversity data. Eng.
- VertNet: VertNet is a NSF-funded collaborative project that makes biodiversity data free and available on the web. Eng.
- PhyloPic: Free silhouette images of animals, plants, and other life forms. Eng.
- Canadensys: Canadensys makes biodiversity information freely and openly available to everyone. Eng, Fr.
Geographic online data
- Free GIS Data: Over 300 sites providing freely available geographic datasets. Eng.
- geojson: Create and edit geographic data and export them in various format. Eng.
- detexify: Draw to identify a Latex symbol you need. Eng.
- doi2bib: Retrieve a .bib citation from a DOI. Eng.
- Tables Generator: Create and edit tables and export them in various format. Eng.
- Zotero Style Repository: Find Citation Style Language (CSL) files Eng.
How to code
- Envato Tuts +: Thousands of free tutorials and online courses to help you learn software development from mobile devices to web applications and everything in between. Eng.
- Giraffe Academy: Giraffe Academy has one simple goal, to create the highest quality and entertaining educational content on the internet. Eng.
- Grafikart: Tutorials to master programming language for web developement: HTML, CSS, PHP, JS, RUBY and more. Fr.
- Code Academy: Various code tutorials. Eng.
- StackEdit: Online Markdown editor Eng.
- draw: Online digram editor Eng.
- fontstruct: Creat your own font online Eng.
- Bioinfo-fr: A blog for bio-informaticians many posts / many tips. Fr.
- Awesome: List of awesome lists! Eng.
- http://depsy.org/: Depsy is trying to track the impact of research code. Eng.
- Seeing Theory: Find Citation Style Language (CSL) files Eng.
- Data visualization tools: New tools for building interactive figures and software make scientific data more accessible, and reproducible. Eng.
- Data visualization: Science on the map: Easy-to-use mapping tools give researchers the power to create beautiful visualizations of geographic data. Eng.